Materials Testing and Special Inspections
Construction inspectors and materials-testing technicians are vitally important, yet the general public has little appreciation of them—until something fails! At SHN, we understand that successful engineering design and construction depends on reliable and strong materials and connections. We help minimize our clients’ construction risks through testing and inspection services, and our inspection teams have developed strong reputations for reliability and professionalism.
SHN’s materials laboratories and special inspection services bring more value than others’ testing services in two important ways:
- Our inspectors have multiple certifications. On the job site, they recognize when additional testing may be needed, consult the construction engineer, and carry the equipment necessary to perform additional inspections or on-site materials testing. Their added expertise and readiness can eliminate costly time delays in waiting for soils and material testing technicians to arrive.
- Our quality control system is excellent, accredited by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), American Society for Testing and Materials-International (ASTM), and by the California Division of the State Architect. SHN was the first laboratory on the California North Coast accredited by AASHTO for meeting the requirements of ASTM E329 “Standard Specification for Agencies Engaged in Construction Inspection, Testing, or Special Inspection,” which defines the minimum requirements for inspection agency personnel, testing laboratory personnel, and the minimum requirements for equipment and procedures used in the testing and inspection of construction materials.
SHN provides these standard tests and special inspections services:
- International Code Council (ICC): reinforced concrete, structural masonry, spray applied fire proofing, and structural bolting
- Division of the State Architect (DSA), Special Masonry Inspector services
- American Welding Society, Visual Weld Inspection and Non-Destructive Testing of Welds
- Rebar placement inspection
- Structural concrete inspection and testing, and “Shotcrete”
- Compaction testing
- Post -Installed anchors in concrete
- Torque and tension testing
- Hot mix asphalt design, paving sampling, and testing
- Lead sampling and testing
SHN’s materials labs are located in Eureka and Willits, California, and in North Bend, Oregon.
To see a complete and detailed list of materials tests for which we are certified, please download a full brochure of our tests.